PC Magazine covered big wins by MMGuardian, Verizon, and Samsung at the CTIA E-Tech Awards.
Samsung Wins Big at CTIA’s E-Tech Awards
Samsung was the big winner for its consumer mobile devices at Wednesday’s CTIA E-Tech Awards announced at the CTIA trade show in Las Vegas and Verizon earned a “Best of Show” nod for Verizon Messages.
The South Korean tech giant’s Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 8.0 were the first-place winners in the Smartphones & Handsets and Tablets/Netbooks categories for mobile consumer electronics, respectively. Samsung was also awarded a first-place finish in the Connected Lifestyle category for its Galaxy Camera.
Lilliputian Systems took first in the Mobile CE – Accessories category for its Nectar Mobile Power System, preventing a clean sweep in consumer-targeted mobile hardware for Samsung, which didn’t place in the top three in the accessories category.
The eighth annual E-Tech Awards were hosted by CNBC Technology Correspondent Jon Fortt. PCMag lead mobile analyst Sascha Segan was part of an online panel of judges which awarded prizes in 15 categories spanning enterprise solutions, mobile apps, mobile hardware, and network infrastructure.
In addition to Verizon’s special nod, VMware was the top online vote-getter among show attendees for Horizon Workspace 1.0.
The official judges awarded prizes based on “innovation, functionality, technological importance, implementation, and overall ‘wow’ factor,” according to CTIA. Here’s the full list of award-winners (first, second, and third place):
Enterprise Solution – General Business
- 1. Ericsson, Connected Vehicle Cloud; 2. GPS Dashboard LLC, “Check in” App for Salesforce.com; 3. uTest, Applause
Enterprise Solution – M2M, Sensors, RFID & NFC
- 1. ORBCOMM Inc., ORBCOMM’s GT 1100; 2. Kionix, Inc., KMX61G; 3. Cisco, Cisco 819 Ruggedized Integrated Services Router
Enterprise Solution – Mobile Cloud
- 1. LogMeIn, Cubby; 2. Canvas, Inc., MyCanvas; 3. Averail, Averail Access
Enterprise Solution – Security, Fraud & Privacy
- 1. Red Bend Software, Red Bend’s TRUE™ Solution for BYOD; 2. Fixmo, Fixmo SafeZone with Secure Gesture Authentication; 3. mSIGNIA, Behavioral Enhanced Risk-Based Authentication and Security
Mobile Apps – Automotive, LBS, Navigation & Safe Driving
- 1. QNX Software Systems, Chevrolet MyLink; 2. General Motors, Siri Eyes Free Integration; 3. Telenav, Scout by Telenav
Mobile Apps– Money – Payments, Banking, Mobile Commerce, Shopping & Rewards
- 1. LevelUp, LevelUp White-Label; 2. mobeam, inc., Mobeam; 3. MobileBits Corporation, SAMY
Mobile Apps– Productivity, Utility & Public Safety
- 1. Pervasive Group Inc., MMGuardian Parental Control; 2. Intrado Inc., Intrado 911Link Mobile; 3. Opera Software, Opera for Android Browser
Mobile Apps– Content, Social, Media & Entertainment
- 1. NTT DOCOMO, INC., Hanashite Hon’yaku (World’s first automatic voice translation service); 2. Harman International, Aha by Harman; 3. AT&T, Inc., AT&T U-verse Easy Remote
Mobile CE– Accessories
- 1. Lilliputian Systems, Inc., Nectar Mobile Power System; 2. Digital Innovations, LLC, ChargeDr USB Charge Booster; 3. Novatel Wireless, The Next Generation MiFi 2 by Novatel Wireless – AT&T MiFi Liberate
Mobile CE– Connected Lifestyle
- 1. Samsung Telecommunications America, Samsung Galaxy Camera; 2. AT&T, AT&T Digital Life; 3. BodyMedia, BodyMedia CORE 2
Mobile CE– Smartphones & Handsets
- 1. Samsung Telecommunications America, Samsung GALAXY S4; 2. HTC, HTC One; 3. Samsung Telecommunications America, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Mobile CE– Tablet/Netbooks
- 1. Samsung Telecommunications America, Samsung GALAXY Note 8.0; 2. Texas Instruments DLP, Smart Devices SmartQ U7 Tablet; 3. KUPA, KUPA UltraNote X15
Network Infrastructure– Green Telecom & Smart Energy Solutions
- 1. Nokia Siemens Networks, Nokia Siemens Networks, Ballard Power Systems develop fuel cell backup power for mobile networks; 2. Wideband Antennas, Wideband Antenna’s Smart Antenna System; 3. Hughey & Phillips, HORIZON LED Medium Intensity Obstruction Light
Network Infrastructure– In-Building Network
- 1. SpiderCloud Wireless, FIRST SCALABLE AND MULTI-ACCESS 3G, WI-FI AND 4G/LTE SMALL CELL SYSTEM; 2. Ruckus Wireless, Ruckus SmartPoint; 3. Broadcom Corporation, BCM617xx Series
Network Infrastructure– Wide Area Network
- 1. Nokia Siemens Networks, Nokia Siemens Networks Liquid Applications; 2. Vasona Networks, Vasona Networks SmartAIR1000; 3. Nokia Siemens Networks, Nokia Siemens Networks Liquid Radio Software Suites